Monday, April 1, 2013

He's here!!!

He's here! He's really here!
At my 36 week appointment, Dr. T checked to see if I was dilated at all.  I wasn't.  It was decided that I would be admitted the following night to get the dilation process started.  Holy crap this is real.  Luckily having so much notice my mom was able to get into town, so we spent the next day getting last minute baby stuff.  And, of course, getting a pedicure.  Hahaha
Mom, B, and I met my aunt, uncle and cousin out for dinner.  Then, B and I headed to the hospital. It was officially go time.
Once we got in and settled, a nurse came in and put in my IV lock.  That hurt, let me tell you.  I normally have great veins and it's never an issue.  This chick had a hell of a time getting my vein.  No bueno.  Then, it was time for Dr. T to insert the pill to dilate me.  It was in a tube or something so it could be removed the next morning.  She couldn't use any jelly or anything, so that also hurt like a bitch.  Then, they didn't get enough blood, so they had to draw more blood and for some reason it stopped flowing.  Needless to say, it was a rough start.  I was offered an Ambien to sleep and stupidly declined.  Word to the wise, if you're being induced and are offered and Ambien - TAKE IT!!!!!!  I was wide awake at around 2 am.  This was not good.  I knew the next day would be a loooong day and I'd need my energy.  Then, around 3:30, the lady in the room next to me had her baby, with no meds.  And we heard the whole darn thing.  That is NOT what you want to hear the night before you have a baby!!!
The next morning, Dr. T arrived around 9:20ish.  She checked me and I was dilated to 2.  I was already having some inconsistent contractions.  She went ahead and broke my water at 9:40 am.  It shockingly did not hurt.  I was pleasantly surprised.  However, I had just taken a shower so I could have done without the ick factor.  They started my pitocin shortly there after.  Mom arrived along with my contractions.  They hurt, but I was able to breathe through them.  I had made it perfectly clear that I wanted an epidural as soon as humanly possible.  They had to make sure I had a litre of fluid in me before they could order it, but they were really on top of it and made sure that I got it as soon as I could.  Around noon or so, the anesthesiologist came in.  Bless him, he tried really hard to put that bad boy in the first try.  Let me tell you, leaning over my huge belly, having contractions, and squishing my already squished lungs makes it pretty darn hard to bend over the right way.  So, after about 6 attempts, he had me lay on my side.  He got it the first try.  I will say this, it didn't hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would.  I was terrified of the epi.  They numb it up with lidocaine first.  The actual epi just feels like a pop.  I was not a fan, however, of the catheter they put in.  It kept making me feel like I had to pee sooooo bad!
Once that was in, I was able to relax.  Mom and B were in there with me all day.  B's parents alternated between the two coming in.  I was only allowed 2 people other than B in the room.  My contracts slowed down after the epi, which can happen.  The upped the pitocin and we waited.  Dr. T is amazing and said I was able to have light snacks.  So, at one point I had some Italian ice.  It was delish.  I napped off and on for the afternoon.  Then, around 3:30 or 4 I woke up in a blind panic.  I couldn't feel my legs (duh, I had an epi!), and it was completely freaking me out.  I'm super claustrophobic and not being able to move them was awful in the moment.  My mom realized that there was a good chance that I was in transition.  She called the nurse in who said they hadn't planned on checking me again till 5 (the last check I was only at a 4).  I was a 9 and a half.  I was in transition.  She called in Dr. T.  Meanwhile, I was going on and on about how the baby was coming out of my butt.  That's exactly what it felt like!  Dr. T got there and checked me.  She just had to look and could already see the head! She threw on some scrubs and it was go time!  My mom and MIL left and it was time to push!
B held a leg and the nurse held the other.  I pushed for about an hour and 20 minutes.  Again, I was surprised at how much less it hurt than I thought it would.  Dr. T watched my contractions on the monitor and told me when to push.  She said I was a champion pusher.  Having her give me positive feedback was what I needed to keep going.
At 5:57 Hold Fairfield Watts II made his debut.  He weighed 7 lbs 8 oz and was 20.5 inches long with a head full of dark brown hair.  We are completely and totally head over heels in love with this little guy.


  1. Love this!! They put me on bed rest today and are planning to induce me one day next week. I hope it goes as well as yours did. I just got super excited reading this!!!

  2. oh yeah. this is amazing!!
    i really hope that i am able to progress as fast as you are!! it sounds like i will be checking in around 7am and it would be my DREAM to push that baby out before midnight and then get some rest!
    you rock!

    1. You got it in the bag love! You and Baby G are going to rock labor and delivery!!!!